Thursday, November 11, 2010

To live or not to live... in the city

This was posted on my other blog before I decided to make that blog only about music.. I posted this almost a year ago and I'm still contemplating whether living in the city or living in the suburbs is better...


As I signed on to Facebook last night, I saw the Tiesto was going to have a free show last night but only for 100 people.  This surely got me thinking... if I live in the city, I would have surely jumped out of my apartment and headed to where the concert will be and surely be one of the hundred people trying to go in.  So let's see what are the positives and negatives on living in the city...




The positives...

No more driving

I go to the city all the time - sometimes, twice in a week.  And I would say it takes 60 miles round trip when driving to the city. Not to mention the hassle of finding parking especially in certain areas.   If I take public transportation, it would cost roughly $20 back and forth. It's not much but the travel time is the killer - I will be sitting on the bus or the train for 45 minutes to an hour. Oh and btw, it takes the same amount of travel time if you live in Queens yet where I live is considered Upstate.  So if I live in the city, I don't have to drive, no need to find parking and my travel time would greatly lessen to quarter of my current travel time. That means more time having fun.

More events
I always get notices about events in the city and mostly I would go to a couple of them but if I live in the city, then I would definitely go to more events. I could go to free movie screenings on Mondays to rooftop street fairs on Sundays, not to mention the numerous concerts and Happy Hours that I could easily get to.

The city life
I use to live in a big metropolis and really live the rough and tumble of it. Everything is so near to each other that its almost impossible to not find something you want or something to do. And with New York City, you can basically see everything from museums to parks, from concerts to comedy clubs,  from sporting events to festivals. It sure feels like everything is at your grasp.

Now for the negatives...

It's expensive
Yes, there are so many things in the city to do that are for free but not everything is free.  Everything in the city cost more than where I live - not to mention that higher sales tax.

Smaller living quarters
Unless you have a six figure job, then your living quarters will be smaller than what you might think.  For the amount of money I'm paying, I would surely not have an apartment of the same size and quantity in the city. I would probably only get a third of the size - almost like my previous apartment when I was living with roommates which I probably wouldn't be doing anymore.

Quiet neighborhood
I do like the rough and tumble of the city but once in awhile, I would love peace and quiet and that wont be possible in the city that never sleeps. Probably the only way you can do it is to plug your ears and where eye shades.

So there are positives and negatives of living in the city. And I'm sure there are lot more reasons that most of you have (share if you are willing).  I do still want to try living in the city but I guess only if there is a real reason for me to move...

No comments:

Post a Comment