Monday, November 29, 2010

Restaurant Review: Miso Nara

22 S. Main Street
New City, NY 10956
(845) 639 - 6993
Fax (845) 639 - 5386

Japanese
Price: $2 - $60
Dine In, Take Out

Located in the heart of Main Street in New City is Miso Nara, a small Japanese restaurant that is known to the locals as New City Sushi. And when I write small, I mean it literally. The exterior is slightly decorated with Japanese themed-product such as Red Lantern except for the electronic sign that flash Open. Once you open the glass door, you will notice how small the place is. It only has five tables that could seat about only 10 people and a elevated sushi bar which can seat 5 people. But the small area is compensated by the friendly atmosphere. I was quickly greeted by Sushi Chef named Lin (not too sure about his name) who was friendly enough that he chatted with the clientele while making his sushi and sashimi. The place was clean and very organized and cozy. I grabbed a menu while waiting for my server and they have an expansive array of dishes from sushi and sashimi to udons and tempura. For a small place, they sure packed a lot of variety.

They have lunch specials and I took the liberty to order one from the specials. I went for the Tempura Box which was compose of 1 California Roll, 2 Shrimp Tempura, 3 pcs of Vegetable Tempura, 3 pcs of Shumai, Rice and Salad. I can see why this place is visited by a lot of people, Lin was nice enough to ask if I want my order to be spicy - from behind the sushi bar. I didn't have to wait for a long time as my miso soup arrived. The miso soup was served in a typical Japanese bowl. The soup was warm and tasty which was perfect for the cold weather. The tofu was soft and spices weren't overwhelming. Then my spicy salad arrived, it tasted fresh and just had enough kicked to it. Finally my main dish, the tempura box was the typical black exterior, red interior box but the presentation was superb. The tempuras were warm and crisp with a little bit of sweetness to it. The California roll was so fresh that you could taste each ingredient really well. The rice was perfectly cooked, salad with ginger dressing was fresh and bountiful and the shumai were tasty. Then the server brought me a dessert courtesy of Lin - a piece of sweet potato roll. I never had this kind of roll in any Japanese restaurants I've been to and this sure was an experience. And to clean my palate - I got a small slice of vanilla mochi ice cream.

This small place packs a lot of punch and I'm pretty sure will be back to try the other dishes on their menu. Even tag along some friends.

New City's website
Rockland County's website
Rockland Eateries Online - Listing of restaurants in Rockland County

No comments:

Post a Comment