Saturday, January 29, 2011

Can you be techy without the tech?

The other night, a friend of mine brought up something that was quite interesting. She said, "... I am surprised how you know so much about technology yet I don't see you with a blackberry or iPad?"

Which brings the question, "Can you be a techy/geek without the technology?"

In my own opinion, Yes, someone can be technology savvy without the technology devices. How is that possible? Well nowadays, nothing is almost impossible especially with the World Wide Web at our fingertips. We can easily learn about a device without even having one by just scouring the Net for product information. 

When I have time, I would usually read articles in Wired or Gizmondo about the latest devices that are coming out on the market almost every other week. And once the device has been 'leaked', multiple website are created for a single purpose - to provide information on the device. These websites contain the devices benefits, drawbacks, how-tos, owner opinions and even how to hack to these devices.

You can also learn from other people who have the devices because of their hands-on experience with those devices. Most of my friends have the latest smartphones - Blackberry, iPhones, Androids - yet I have a flip phone that is worn out that the faceplate are cracked and scratched. Yet most people would asked me questions about their smartphones because they have perceived me as a tech guy. And if I don't have an answer for them during that time, they know that I will have an answer for them after a day or so.

So I guess you can be a techy without the tech. What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment