Saturday, October 16, 2010

Restaurant Review: Thai Family

Courtesy of Thai Family Website
Thai Family 
16 Second Street
New City, NY 10956
(845) 708-5858
(845) 708-5859 (Fax)

Cuisine: Thai
Price Range: $2 - $19.95
Credit Card Accepted
Hours: Mon - Thur: 11am - 9:30pm; Fri - Sat: 11am - 10pm; Sun: 12am - 9:30pm

So while skimming through today's paper, I saw an ad for the grand opening of Thai Family Restaurant with a picture of Anna and Sam, former executive chefs of Thai House in Nyack. And that surely caught my eye since I enjoyed eating at Thai House that I had to check this place out.

I got to the place and it sure was a little bit hard to find if you are not familiar with the town of New City. The two-way street is tucked in between Maple Ave and Park Ave and is mostly residential. Parking is on the street but there were some people playing soccer on the house across the street so I decided to park my car at Maple Ave and walked back.

The first time you see the place, you will think twice whether this was the restaurant. It's on a small residential-like structure with a dry-cleaning store beside it.  There are a couple of small tables outdoors but it was just too cold to sit outdoors.

Once you are in, you surely see that this is a small family-owned restaurant. The dining area is only compose of 4 2-person tables and 1 4-person table that is decorated with Thai-themed objects and images. The table-tops had a nice Thai-themed fabric underneath a pane of glass with a bamboo in a small vase. What it lacks in decor is made up with friendly service. The hostesses were very friendly and were eager to promote the business to their customer. I got seated and was given the menu which was quite extensive. Each item also has a brief description and the red pepper icon symbolizing that the dish is Hot and Spicy. Since it was a chilly night, I decided to order some Vegetarian Tofu Tom Yam Soup ($4.25) and for my entree, the Pad Ma Moung with a combination of Chicken, Pork & Shrimp ($15.95). The hostess asked me if I want it mild or spicy and I went for spicy for both.

After a wait of less than 10 minutes, my Tom Yam Soup arrived. Tom Yam Soup is a Thai style hot and sour soup and it surely was spicy on my first try that when the hostess asked if it was spicy enough, I told her definitely. The soup had very tasteful and the spiciness wasn't too overpowering that I could still taste the lime juice as well as the tomatoes, mushrooms and onion.

Pad Ma Moung
Then came my Pad Ma Moung which is Roasted chili sauce with cashew nuts, pineapple and mixed vegetables and combination of chicken, pork and shrimp. And it came with a small cup of Jasmine rice. The dish was swimming in sweet chili sauce which was a perfect compliment to the Jasmine Rice. The shrimp and vegetables was crunchy while the chicken and pork were tender. It sure was a big helping as I had to order an extra Jasmine Rice ($2.00) to just be able to finished the sauce. It just had the right amount of spiciness and sweetness to it. I would highly recommend this dish.

If you can get passed through the store and decor, then you can truly enjoy what Thai Family has to offer. I'm pretty sure I will be back again and again and again. And maybe next time, I will try their Pad Thai.

Thai Family Restaurant - Website | Directions

No comments:

Post a Comment